PTO Meeting July 22nd, 2022 9:00 AM Heritage Middle School Counselor room
Jocelyn DiRienzo Kristi Cobb Cindy Kelley Dana Rector Julie Pfund Jackie Hamilton Susan Harris Beth Dean
Diane Hubert Amy Martin Christina Trahan Katherine Ehrhardt Amber Hollie
Call to order by Jocelyn DiRienzo at 9:01
President’s Report - President Jocelyn DiRienzo welcomed everyone to the meeting. Everyone introduced themselves, their PTO role, and their children’s grade level. A schedule of events was given to all in attendance to include this year’s meeting dates and special events planned by the PTO.
Treasurer's Report - Kristi went over the May budget and this year’s proposed budget. The proposed budget income and expense this year is $20,800. Motion to approve this year’s budget by Diane Hubert, Julie Pfund seconded the motion. All in favor; the motion carries. Kristi discussed the need to increase concessions prices. We were not able to reimburse our concessions budget. We discussed increasing the prices for candy, cotton candy, nachos, and gatorade.
Principal's/Administrative Report - N/A
- VP of Events - Nothing to report at this time.
- Membership - Amber Hollie is the new membership position.
- Hospitality - Beth Dean has tentative dates on the calendar for teacher appreciation days. She is already working with local companies to donate meals and treats for the teachers. She will be able to supplement the teacher appreciation treats with her budget, and she will supply the teacher’s break room with snacks and drinks.
- Corporate Sponsors - Amy Martin sent many emails to old and new sponsors. She has received some checks already. We have sponsors that will help provide food for teacher appreciation events. Martin’s BBQ will be providing food valued at $1500. Some businesses will donate goods but they are not listed as corporate sponsors.
- Communications/Website - Julie is wanting to have a Facebook recognition post in regards to the athletes each week. Corporate sponsor links and the Invest HMS links are on the website and are active.
- Front Office/Badges/Signs - N/A
- Spiritwear/School Supplies - N/A
- Beautification - Katherine Ehrhardt is new to the beautification position. She is going to plant new flowers in the planters. She plans to update the flowers as needed for each season and place wreaths on the doors. She is also going to decorate the interior courtyard area.
- HMS Athletics - N/A
- Concessions - N/A
- The option of spirit night is returning. We enjoy Culver’s, and their spirit days have been helpful in the past. Grecian Pizza has expressed interest in hosting a spirit night. We have had school spirit nights with Chick-fil-A, as well as athletic nights. The only negative is that you have to mention spirit night to receive credit, and you cannot get credit for online orders.
- Billy Umstetter came to the meeting to discuss HMS athletics, fundraising and the role of the PTO. He is the new social studies teacher and current Football coach. He also has a role with the baseball and soccer teams. He is asking about building the athletic program, and asked about a booster program. He explained that he came from TSMS where the PTO was able to help with athletic funding through a booster program. HMS only has 3 home games for HMS football. The first game is 8/11/22. The last game of the season is scheduled against Page. Coach Umstetter is hoping to have enough funds to host that game at Indy.
- As mentioned in the treasurer’s report, Kristi Cobb brought it to our attention that the PTO is losing money on concessions. Some prices may need to be increased, or the formula to reimburse the organizations working the concession stand may need to be adjusted. The PTO board agreed to table the concession price discussion for the next meeting.
- Back to School nights are 8/1, 8/2, and 8/3 from 4:30-5:30. Jocelyn verified that there will be members of the PTO attending each night to set up an info table. They will be available to answer any questions families have regarding the PTO. Hopefully, we will see an overall increase in the percentage of families and teachers that participate in the PTO. We will have a QR code for easy access to sign up online and a square reader. There will be a spirit wear flyer with shirts on display.
- There will be a Glow Dance this year. It is going to be September 9th from 6-8.
- Back to School Nights - 8/1, 8/2, 8/3
- August 3rd - PTO and staff introductions including lunch
- August 5th - First half-day of school
- August 12th - Next PTO meeting
Motion to adjourn the meeting by Jocelyn DiRienzo. Diane Hubert seconded the motion. All were in favor. The meeting ended at 10:30.
- Monday, March 27
- Monday, April 3
- Friday, April 7
- Monday, April 10
- Thursday, May 25
We are so thankful to our GOLD sponsors for their generosity!
To see all of our fabulous sponsors, click here: